Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On Spells and Effects

Any good game usually has a well developed and balanced magic system. The system could use some type of rune or scroll, keeping the player having to carry around their spells instead of having them acessable in a spell book and could be cast at any time. It's all on how you want your game to be balanced. With a game that contains, muliple classes, one might want different spells for each class.

The way I am designing my spell system, is that certain classes have access to all healing spells. But some spells are cast more efficiently by a Monk. And then there are global spells, which every class can learn and use all the same, a simple healing spell or a basic fireball. After playing the game Skyrim, great game might I add, I took a look at their classless system but allowed for specializing by exp of skills. Eg, the more you use your sword, the better you will be with it.

Today I wrote my buff and effect classes, I'm still working on them, as it's getting late and I'll finish it all to arrow, but the way I currently have it is that the buff is applied to the players stats, another class, increasing whatever stat is effected by the effect from the buff.

I am pleased to announce my GUI quick bar is finished. I use a heavy Lua system to call the functions on a key press, it works,and every key is changeable from a text file, but I'm thinking about making a small redesign. First I will have to learn more about Lua vs C#. And how functions are addressed from each language and how I can create effective scripts to later implement.

I will be debating uploading my code.  I'd like to take the path of open source, but at the same time, I'd li,e to develop on, my own, to claim it as my own work at the same time.

As always, with best wishes in your coding adventure,

TNariksan

No comments:

Post a Comment